Native Sons of the Golden West
||Memorial Day tour of Manzanita Cemetery
a big success
The VFW led with a presentation of a wreath to fallen Veterans and honor guard. Then a
lone bugler playing Taps as Lincoln's Boy Scouts looked on. Then the silence was
broken by only by the sound thirteen gun salute.
NSGW members Jerry Logan, Don
Logan, and Roberta Babcock then led a historic tour of historic grave sites.
Manzanita cemetery is the final resting place for many of Lincoln's founding families.
Finally Hal & Pat Follet with guest artist Gene Thorp played music and led the
remaining crowd in a sing-a-long.
The site of Manzanita cemetery has had a very colorful past. It was home to rustlers,
schoolchildren, and then the final resting place for many of Placer counties founding
citizens. The Lincoln Native Sons choose Manzanita cemetery for a plaque because of
its historical significance. More than a hundred people, several native son officers, and
pioneer families attended the dedication.
Manzanita Cemetery Plaque wording
First called Manzanita grove. Dense brush provided a rustlers hideout and corral.
Area burial site, 1855, when public support: "Manzanita grove cemetery
Site of Manzanita School
Land for school and cemetery deeded in 1862 to Coon Creek School District by P. Dipole.
Sparks family plot marks schoolhouse site.
Manzanita cemetery joint
Lincoln in Sharon cemeteries in 1825,
forming the placer County cemetery district #1
final resting spot for many placer pioneers.
Marker provided by Silver Star Parlor #63
Native Sons of the Golden West,
Lincoln California, May 1998
Thanks to Teacher Aggregate for donating the concrete base used to mount the
plaque. To view plaque and this historical cemetery take highway 65 3
and 1/2 miles North of Lincoln. Then take Wise Road East 1 1/2 miles to Manzanita Road.
Take Manzanita Road 2 miles North.